Monday 9 December 2019

Overwhelming victories are for fascists, bullies and braggarts

I got drawn into a debate on Sunday around the massive scores being posted at the SA Schools water polo tournament currently under way in Joburg. Obviously, I don't believe there is a place for that sort of thing in school sport.

One team won 45-0, another 34-1. Both of those would translate, in rugby terms, to scores close to, or even over, 100-0.

I was about to go off on it again, but then I remembered I've already done that, so in the interests of saving electricity this load-shedding season, here's a link to what I wrote (in a rugby context) back in July 2018. Nothing's changed, you wouldn't expect that to have happened, it would require people growing a conscience and showing a little humanity, things that are in short supply when the rush of victory takes over.


http://theogarrun.blogspot.com/2018/07/100-point-wins-dont-do-anyone-any-good.html

No comments:

Post a Comment