Wednesday 6 December 2023

Gauteng schools water polo - massive.

 



I was at the Gauteng Schools Water Polo capping ceremony at St Peter’s on Tuesday night, and it was quite amazing. The province is sending 22 teams to the Interprovincial tournament in Gqeberha this weekend. That’s 304 players, 40 coaches, 12 managers and seven referees.

I can’t think of many touring contingents that big, and they were all presented with certificates and scrolls on Tuesday. The ceremony was held in the air-conditioned indoor basketball facility at St Peter’s  – which made the two and a half hours it took bearable, given the heat we’ve been having in Joburg this past week. They’ve done it before, obviously, it ran like clockwork, every player got his or her moment in the spotlight and tribute was paid to some special individuals, in an appropriate manner.

All very impressive and very different to the days when I used organise these evenings. We only had two, later three, teams back then and we’d have a braai for the boys and their parents (no girls polo back then) and get someone like Hennie van Niekerk or Billy Otto to do the hand-shaking. It’s come a long way.

I’ve been critical about them letting it get so big. I’ve always felt provincial competition is an elite, not a mass participation event, and handing certificates to over 300 players is not elite. On the other hand, though, I agree that its wonderful to have that many teenagers actively engaged in healthy sport, among their friends at this time of the year – they could be doing far less positive things with their time. Water polo is a better game than most when it comes to a vehicle for teaching values and life skills. And I applaud the sacrifices made by so many teachers, coaches and administrators to make it possible.

Pros and cons to both arguments, I guess.

Where I do have some strong views is when it comes to the age at which children should be introduced to serious competitive sport. There are under-12 and under-13 categories at SA Schools polo these days, That’s 11 and 12 year-olds! Should they be introduced to the joys and heartaches of team selection, the arduous training that is part of the game, and the seriousness of a professional tournament at that age? Shouldn’t they rather be learning the basics through game situations that focus on the fun of it, with no scores being kept?

Still, seeing all those shiny smiling faces, and that array of school uniforms, on Tuesday night warmed my heart. The organisers pledged, at the ceremony, to make every step they take educationally accountable and that player safety is their priority. You can only applaud that.

 

3 comments:

  1. Strictly speaking an U12 player turns 12 during the calendar year, and with it already being December, there should be very few 11-year-olds at the tournament. But I totally agree with your point about the role of sport in younger children. It may also encourage a false sense of "I've made it!" when all that happened is that you had your puberty a bit earlier than a more skilled, smaller player (and visa versa).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the argument for the u12s etc, however in today's environment and culture I would rather expose my kids to challenges in life (including heartaches). Both my daughters started pre-u12 and stronger for it. I recently had a conversation with them on a situation I as parent was a bit nervous about...the response "Don't worry dad, we are water polo players!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece Theo.

    ReplyDelete