Wednesday 29 June 2022

The story of Patrick Markotter will stand out for me

 


Patrick Marktotter, Kevin Robins and Dale Jackson

I was lucky, after being given the boot from the Star by Iqbal Survé, to get a number of gigs that allowed me to continue doing what I love – asking people about the things they do, and writing them up.

The best of those assignments , because it allowed me mingle again with the remarkable men and women who work in a school, has been being taken on, for two days a week, to write things for the communications channels of Jeppe High School for Boys.

My role has grown and I now also do work for the school’s old boys organisation, the Jeppe Boys Association. I share an office with Kevin Robins, a retired engineer who in, his soul, is actually a historian. His job is to oversee the engineering and construction projects around the school, but he also manages the JBA, and has an amazing knowledge of the school’s history, and what the old boys are up to. Ask him a question, and if he can’t answer it immediately, he’ll find what you want in one of his data bases.

It was him who first told me about Patrick Mark Markotter, an elderly man who had attended the school for two years, 1949 and 1950, and who went on to live quite a remarkable life.

We managed, through Patrick’s niece, Cherise Nel, to set up a day for him to visit the school. He had some framed items, she told us, that he wanted to donate to the school and had in recent times expressed the wish to see the school again before he died. He was suffering with cancer, so it was quite urgent.

We got it all together, and on Monday 6th June he was brought to Jeppe by his son, accompanied by his grandson, the pastor of the church he attended in Randfontein, and several other family members.

It was the first time he had gotten off his bed for several months, he told us, and the day began with an amazing reversal of roles. “My son woke me up and hassled me to get ready for school, just as I had done to him all those years ago,” he said.

It was the first of a series of events that, according to Patrick, provided a closure for him and has left him satisfied and ready to go when the time comes.

The framed items he brought included a pair of boxing gloves – he retired unbeaten as a professional lightweight fighter – a pair of dungarees that he wore as a locomotive driver in the gold mines, and his nine Red Seal certificates. Red seals were awarded to master tradesmen and they required the completion of a trade qualification, followed by at least five years of practical experience. Patrick did that in nine trades associated with the mining industry. The items will go into the collection of the Jeppe Museum.

He left Jeppe at the end of grade 9 because his family needed him to get a job, So he went to the mines, and stayed there for the next 40 years.

Why the connection with Jeppe I wondered, seeing he had only been here for two years? He told us that morning in the old boys offices before he handed the items over to Dale Jackson, the Jeppe headmaster.

In standard six (grade 8) he was made to take Latin as a subject and had no interest or aptitude for it. He got 11% for Latin in the March exams and was destined to fail it. Then his Latin teacher, a Madam Davies (she insisted that she was Madam, not Miss), noticed him and changed his life. “It came about through classical music,” he explained. “One day, she called for 40 boys to accompany her to a chamber music performance at the City Hall, and I put my name down.”

“Most of the boys only went to get a night out of the hostel, but I was fascinated. Afterwards she asked us each to write an essay on what we thought of it. She threw 39 of them in the bin, but kept mine. I had written that the music I heard described the composer’s life. It had ups and downs, happy periods and sad ones, light moments and serious ones. Madam Davies read it out aloud and told me that, while I had no interest in Latin, I clearly had a love for music.”

Then she gave him extra lessons and he eventually passed Latin at the end of the year. “She could have discarded me as a failure, but she saw me as a human being and took an interest in me, that was something I never forgot.”

And it kindled a love for classical music that has lasted all his life. “I bought my first classical record at a bicycle shop in Troyeville soon afterwards and it became the first in a collection that became the biggest in the country, eventually taking over my whole house."

Patrick also told us that the Jeppe motto, Forti Nihil Difficilius, was something that stayed with him all his life. “History has shown us that nothing really is too difficult for the brave, and I have tried to live my life that way. Jeppe gave me that solid foundation and I will always be grateful.”

That’s what got him through the process of getting those nine red seals. He also, via the National Technical Certificate route, finally got the equivalent of a matric, at the age of 43.

It was an inspirational morning. Patrick told us that visiting the school again had long been on his bucket list and that, despite his ill health and advanced age he was happy that he had ticked that box.

Patrick Markotter’s story will stand out, I think, among the hundreds I have recounted down the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment